May 9, 2017

About Dollie's Mama: Likes + Dislikes

If you're new to this series here's the low down: In an effort to be more transparent to my readers, and to encourage myself to blog more as well as get in front of the camera more, I am sharing things about me that you probably do not know. I began the series last week with a post about my most embarrassing moments. You can find that here. Now onto the next one!
There's really no rhyme or reason to the topic of these posts. Today I woke up and felt like sharing things that I love, and things I really do not love. Some quirky, some probably relate-able, and some not at all relate-able, I am sure. Here goes!

..........................................................

*Naps
When my kids were born and people told me to "nap when they nap" I took it very seriously and have taken a nap nearly every day for the past 4 years. Part of it has to do with co-sleeping with Dollie for a very long time, naps and nighttime. She will be 4 next month and still takes 2 hour naps every day, with me by her side. It't one of my favorite times of the day because while Dash is snoozing in his own room/bed, Dollie and I get to snuggle and tell stories and secrets before we doze off. 

*The 80's*
Like, a lot. The movies (Footloose, Breakfast club, Rocky, Dirty Dancing...) the fashion (bold colors, jewelry, hair...), the music (my fave band is Def Leppard, and come on..MJ anyone?) Every time a song or a movie comes on it sucks me right in and I often wish I could have went to high school during that era. I just am a little obsessed with it all. 

*Music*
Specifically, very loud music. It mostly annoys my husband because he claims that I turn it up to an uncomfortable and very un-enjoyable level. Can't help it. I think it's because of my mom. She instilled a love for music into my soul. Embarrassingly enough, I can get pretty emotional at the most random of songs.  Always rocking out in the car...or getting choked up. It's a wide range of emotions. Bodie also has complimented me numerous times that I'm "pretty good at memorizing words to songs." I am not a good singer, but boy do I love me some music. Anything from Linkin Park to Def Leppard, Dierks Bently to Dashboard Confessionals, Eminem to straight up classical, and EDC stuff to religious music. I love a good instrumental pandora station, specifically the piano. #meltme. And it is for sure the best when it's very very loud. This love is being passed on to my children already. They love music and they like it turned up. Music is my go to if I am feeling sad, mad, frustrated, or really excited. Best concert I've been to was Linkin Park, by far. 

*Binkies*
AKA: pacifier, soother, the thing I love probably more than my babies. Why? The smell. We are talking major obsession people. I thought it was a weird thing, to smell your babies binky, but then I found out my cute sister in law feels the same way. So who else? Who else maybe even doesn't wait until it falls out and instead plucks that thing out of their little mouth just to take a whiff? It's honestly like a drug for me. It gives me all the feels. I think it must be pheromones or whatever because my husband and others have looked at me weird like they just don't get it. So interesting and so lovely!

*Natural light*
Gimme all the natural light. First thing I do when my eyes pop open is begin opening the blinds and windows. I make my way from room to room and it gives me instant happiness. Also, it makes for great photos!

*Food*
Sushi (not until 2 years ago when we lived in San Diego), thai food, donuts, sugar cookies, crime brûlée. . Those are the basic favorites and my go-to's if I get a choice in the matter. Any baked goods, and also Italian food (gimme all the garlic), as well. I very much dislike onions, jalapenos, Tabasco sauce, buffalo sauce, and cilantro. I will do my very best to avoid eating these things.  

*White*
I lived in a hotel for a little over a year and got super use to having all white linens. Now its what I (mostly) have in my own home and I love love love it. 

*Pregnancy/Birth*
I love it. I really do. I am not just trying to sound like those super super positive people who almost sound annoying and fake. I get very jealous of people who are expecting when I am not and even more envious when I know they are headed to the hospital to deliver their baby. I get emotional (happy emotions) and just have lots of feelings about it all. I have really good pregnancies (so far) and equally great, if not better, labor/birth. I mean, ask me how I feel the first couple weeks after the baby is born and I'm sure I would be singing a different tune, but overall I love love love it. 

*Cooking*
Hate it. I've been married nearly 10 years and I still cannot get the hang of it. Every day I dread coming up with a meal. I think my mother in law thinks we never have food and that our kids starve. We do, and they don't, it's just that I do not have a surplus of food on hand at all times. I simply cannot throw together a meal with random things in the kitchen. I mean, yes, I can make chicken and rice. But I just need a recipe. I need a full ingredient list and I need to plan ahead. Even then, life is always so busy and crazy that I only buy for like 3 days (things always go bad so this is why). So we eat whats on the agenda and then it's gone and I get more shopping done. I really wish I loved it. It's not even that I am bad at it. 95% of the time the meals I make turn out just fine. It just takes sooooo much time to prepare and then 5 min to eat, and then another forever long to clean up. I am working on this. It is a big struggle for me. Thankfully I have a husband who has never once got after me for not having a fully cooked meal ready to go. If he comes home and it's been a rough day and I tell him we are having eggs and tortillas he is totally fine with it. He very rarely complains (if ever). For this, I am truly grateful and lucky. *Disclaimer, we do always have something to eat for dinner. And it's never cereal. its just a dreadful time of day for me and one that I am not sure will ever change. 

*Working Out*
Never something I did growing up or into the first years of my marriage. Never "needed to". I ate whatever I wanted and just maintained a weight that turns out was a little low for my height. It was effortless. Now I definitely "need to" and its for sure the hardest thing for me. Even harder than eating healthy. I just do not enjoy it, the sweating and the discomfort. I see more results from changing my eating in 1 week than working out for 1 month. 

*Breastfeeding*
Deep breath....I do not love it. I do it! For at least 1 yr, usually a little more, but I don't love it. Yes, there are times when I feel that connection, and I love being the only person who can provide for my baby in that way...but basically I just get overly worn out by giving my body to someone else for 2 years, on demand, whenever they want, day or night, around the clock. I do it because it is the exact purpose of my breasts, and because I know the immense benefits it brings, and simply because I am able. It is a blessing, and one that I will not ever take for granted. But it is exhausting and I simply do not love it. 

*Ocean Waves*
I have an intense love/hate relationship with this. I am madly in love with the beach/ocean. The sounds, the fresh air. its beauty....*sigh* such a dream. Especially in the golden hour. It literally makes me weak in the knees. At the same time, I have a very real fear of giant waves. I have at least one nightmare a month of 100+ ft waves crashing down on me, or my house, or something. It is so terrifying. I can't think of anything else that I am so fascinated with and equally terrified of. 

*Video Games*
I despise them. I do not enjoy playing them, not even apps on the phone. Bodie doesn't really care for video games at all, but he does love a good game on the ole' iphone/ipad and it drives me a little crazy. Even if it is just a silly farm game...it drives me bonkers. Family just brought us a really old Nintendo from years ago and thankfully it doesn't work. Please tell me I am not the only wife who feels this way...about basically any game that is played on a screen. 

*Gifting/Surprising
I do love receiving gifts and getting surprised, but not nearly as much as I love giving them and surprising others. I will do whatever it takes to make sure I surprise the person intended. And if they hate surprises I will work even harder at it. I just do not understand people who "don't like surprises". I wonder if it's true? How can you not like being surprised my something that will put a smile on your face? I take holidays and birthdays very seriously around here for my loves ones and sure have a fun time doing it. Its always worth it. Always. 

*My family*
Another deep breath...I do not love sharing my family. Specifically my husband and children. I think it's because we moved to another state when we were first married and stayed there for 6 years. I got very use to having Bodie, and then Dollie, to myself. We did what we wanted, when we wanted, without expectations or demands from anyone. This is something that I know is very selfish and it's something I am working on. I just get a little jealous and would prefer to do our own thing. Now, this isn't to say that I don't LOVE hanging out with my friends and family. I am very grateful to back in Utah near so many, and it's always a good time. Again, please tell me I am not the only wife/mother who feels this way! I feel guilty but I also can't help it. 

*Seasons*
I would prefer to live somewhere that palm trees are rampant, where snow never falls, and where sunshine prevails. St. George is doing the trick. Although I have yet to live somewhere that nears the 100's every day during the summer so we shall see how it goes. Regardless, no snow (or at least very little) = worth it already. 

..........................................................

I think that is a pretty good mix of things that I like and dislike. Maybe I will add to it here and there. Can you relate to any of these? Let me know! I do love learning new things about people!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment